How is everyone enjoying this fabulous weather?? I find it quite amazing. I went for a nice run at lunch time. The windows are open. The sun is shining. What more could we ask for? How about these fabulous little boats of yumminess? I think you’ll find these not only delicious but super easy to make. Another great thing, they are rather healthy and low carb. I mean bathing suit season is coming up and I don’t know about you but this winter was not only killer on my mood but also on my motivation to either eat healthy or work out. That’s all over now. I’m totally on a healthy kick that will last about ummm….2 days. We’ll see. We just booked our big vacation for the year and I want to look damn good when we go. We are going to Turks and Caicos, again. We went there for our honeymoon last year and are so pumped to have the opportunity to do it again!
Anyways, back to the food. These may seem a little time consuming but not enough to nix it from a weeknight meal. Start the eggplants and garlic as soon as you get home and the sauce whips up pretty quick. One thing I must mention is that we used fresh ricotta cheese here, which you could totally swap out for the store bought stuff. As I say that I’m grimacing because there is truly nothing like homemade ricotta. It will change your life. As I sit here writing about it I’m saying to myself “Duh stupid, you haven’t told them how to make that yet”. Believe me this will come, I promise. You could adapt this recipe to anyone’s like or diet. You want to omit the cheese, or switch out the sausage for ground beef (or God forbid go meatless). The world is your oyster! Byyyyeeee……
- 2 eggplants, halved
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 pound hot italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini or summer squash, chopped
- 1- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp red pepper flake
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup fresh ricotta
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the eggplant halves with EVOO and place in a baking dish cut side down. Cut the top portion of the garlic head off to reveal the cloves, drizzle with a little EVOO and wrap in foil, also placing in the baking dish. Roast, uncovered for about 45 minutes or until the eggplant is soft.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat add the sausage, breaking it up. Brown the sausage all over until almost done about 7 minutes. Next, add onion, pepper, zucchini or squash to the pan to cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened about 5 minutes. Add the can tomatoes, breaking apart with the back of your spoon. Then add oregano, parsley, red pepper flake, salt and pepper. Continue to cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- When the roasted garlic is cool enough to handle pop the cloves out of the skin into the sauce. Give it a quick mix.
- Flip over the eggplants and add the ricotta to the boats breaking it up with your hands. Top with the sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Pop the dish back into the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Serve warm.